other new things learned:
1. when clicking through to an anchored link on another page, ie often ignores the style sheet import - resulting in a nn4 looking page
2. &s linking name value pairs in links are not xhtml compliant - &'s are
i can't decide how i feel about the new menu - what do you think? the menu works rather similarly to how inthehead.com works - but i spent weeks with the database for each loop and print trying to make it work - the menu took 10 minutes... living and learning i suppose.
yesterday i saw someone here at work who i know by sight (from their website) and remembered that i'd seen them in person once before at a bar. it made me think back to a time when i saw someone (who did not want to see)'s car turning a corner ahead just as i turned onto that street and it made me wonder first about how often we see people (big city or not), but just don't realize we're seeing them (again) and also about who we might miss by moments - it seems like being in the right place at the right time is more left to chance than we usually consider it to be.
the bmw films are great - as is their site...
tipsy and add n to x ruled last night - tonight is brian loeb's going away party.
so the wrangling that i spoke about the other day has taught some interesting lessons:
i'm sure there's more but i can't think of what it is.
new stuff: text is justified again, archiving system by month has been built, link to encephalon.org has been removed.
i want a 1990 honda gb500
so after much wrangling and frustration with various parties that will go un-named, i've gotten this site to be not only html 4.1 (transitional) compliant, but xhtml compliant as well. now all that needs to be done is to work on hacking to make this thing look *correct* somewhere other than ie5x - so i'm back where i started...
today is home depot day - light fixtures, a bucket, power cords and tools.
having mom was fun, but i've been sick as hell off and on since friday - i'm sure smoking again isn't helping
trying to make this site validate any way i can, but it isn't working too terribly well - also having cross browser/platform css issues that i'm thinking aren't totally my fault... looks great in the lynx emulator though!
have instituded permalinks for news/archive entries and have taken image spacers out and replaced with css spacer hacks (see rant above)
my mama's in town and i'm glad.
stephen is a rock star.
re-engineered this site with php to grab name value pairs from the url (or values set in pages) to display the correct stuff. additionally, used a server side include to display index.php through index.html to avoid redirection problems (discrepencies i note in my access logs).